Welcoming Eureka Springs Vacationers Since 1947
The Tall Pines Inn has been in operation as an Inn since 1947. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been in business continuously under the names of Tall Pines Modern Court, Tall Pines Court, and Tall Pines Motor Inn, and now Tall Pines Inn. World War II saw travelers looking for the simple lifestyle of small towns. Better transportation and improvement of the roads made it easier for travelers to visit these small towns. Travelers interested in American nostalgia left the cities and traveled to the interesting countryside communities. Eureka Springs was one of these communities that benefited from these curious travelers looking for and enjoying the nostalgia of these towns. The travel into Eureka Springs continues today and is present into the twenty-first century.
Log cabins have long been a symbol of our heritage and the frontier of yesteryear. As time has passed, these beautiful log structures have gained in popularity as motels that bring a reasonable price for one night’s rent. Tall Pines Inn is aptly named after the towering Pines that surround the property and impart the nostalgic image of the old log cabins surrounded by acres of pine trees that provide both shade and shelf to the home.
Philip and Alice Nordquist, Edna Deiley (daughter), and Donna Ann (granddaughter) moved from Chicago, Illinois, to Eureka Springs to build Tall Pines home in 1947. At the time the home was constructed, Philip Nordquist was seventy years old, Alice was fifty-eight, and Edna was thirty-nine. The main log home, built as the central home, had six rental cabins in a quarter-circle facing the owners’ residence. The cabins and home were constructed of round pine logs with saddle-notched corners, chinked with concrete and built on concrete foundations. Outside lights of glass behind metal cut-out evergreens were hung on each building and are still in use today.
The owner’s residence was a traditional house type found in the Ozarks: a dogtrot house, also known as a hallway or double house, consisting of two separate cabins that are joined by a gable roof stretched over an open, central, floored hall between them; the separate rooms are entered from a central hallway that was used as a breezeway functioning as an important source as airflow in the days before air conditioning. In the main lodge, Alice and Philip lived on one side, and Edna and Donna Ann lived on the opposite side, with the breezeway between the two sides.
The breezeway was closed off from the other two units in the mid-1950s, and the lodge structure operates as three separate rental units. Later, porches were built onto the log homes, and additional rental units were added to match the property’s original log cabin style. Tall Pines Inn has grown to a total of fourteen cabins that house a total of twenty-one units available for rent.
January 1999, the first seven log structures that were initially constructed for the property, were inducted into the “National Register of Historic Places.” Keith and Michelle Frey became the inn’s tenth owners in 2018. They strive to preserve the Tall Pines’ historic nature while providing all the modern comfort and convenience expected by today’s travelers.